Poker Pro Denied Entry to U.S.

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-1 of 1 total posts
136886 Nibs: 326
Posted on Nov 2nd 2010  -  Subject: Poker Pro Denied Entry to U.S.

Established poker pro Terence Chan blogged on November 1st how he was recently denied entry to the U.S. twice despite providing ample evidence that he intended to have a two month visit only. Terence is a professional poker player who resides in Canada and has property he manages in Hong Kong. He played in the 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 WSOPs.  He gained entry each time previously.

In his two recent attempts to entery driving down from Vancouver, Canada, he was interrogated on both attempts for several hours, finger printed, accused of trying to illegally stay in the U.S. and denied entry. He was told he would be arrested if he attempted another entry immediately.  Even after returning with additional documentation that the immigration officer requested, he was given excuses that it wasn't sufficient.

"But none of these things prove that you will leave the U.S."

"I told them that I am a professional poker player with rental property in Hong Kong and Vancouver, and that I was going down to train martial arts for two months, including participating in a major tournament. I made it very clear I had no plans to stay in the United States past December."

Fed up with dealing with the U.S. immigration authorities, Terence Chan is saying he will never return. 

"My primary emotion was sadness. I already knew what decision I was going to make. I knew I was giving up going to Canucks playoff road games, giving up big jiujitsu tournaments, giving up the WSOP, and most importantly, giving up visiting my American friends. That'll be the toughest part. I have people down in that country whom I adore; people I wish I could see every day, people that I planned on seeing and having fun with. I'm going to miss seeing these people, a lot. Missing the WSOP is going to be very hard for me, but I feel like it's something I have to do. For the most part, my friends are also mobile people, so hopefully I can see them in Canada, Hong Kong, or on neutral soil. But some of my friends are going to have very valid reasons for not being able to travel. Others may simply not want to leave the comfort of their homes. Time will tell."

Source: Terence's blog

Are You Poker Curious?
Displaying #1-1 of 1 total posts

header

[close]