Will a pro ever win the WSOP Main Event again?

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-15 of 26 total posts  1 2  Next Last
49357 Nibs: 5,464
Posted on Oct 18th 2006  -  Subject: Will a pro ever win the WSOP Main Event again?
I've watched the main event for the past three or four years now. I've seen the field grow and grow in the sick amounts it has. One thing that this leads people to say when i watch is that a pro player will probably never win the main event again (this being based upon the growing number of amateurs to the number of existing/new pros). I can agree that the odds are very much against them. It's similar to the women's odds of winning because there are so many more male players than females at the main event. The difference though is that, while both predicaments are based on number of people in one group vs. the number of poeple in the other group, skill level comes more into play for one than the other. There are some very skilled female players out there but no one can say that "all women players" are at a pro level with their poker skills. Another point to make is what Allen Cunningham did this year. He made the final table and could have easily won it. He went in with a low chance of winning as far as the numbers went, but that doesn't mean his chances as far as skills was even close to being that bad. His chances in that sense were probably just a lil lower if not even or better. I guess the point is that while the pros are very outnumbered now, they still have a shot of winning if they can make it deep into the tournament and not take any real bad beats that bust them out. In another sport, the whole Tiger Woods vs. the field situation is similar.
They say if you can't spot the sucker within 30 minutes, you're it. I saw 9 of them the second I sat down. -Vaughn
38524 Nibs: 582
Posted on Oct 20th 2006
I think if the fields stay as large as they have been, you may not see a pro win it again. The biggest difference between a pro and an amature is in the long run, pros can and will make more money than an amature. Unfortunately, in a tournament, even as long as the Main Event, the luck factor will play a very important roll in determining how someone finishes. Bottom line is, professional players can consistantly do well in tournaments, but chances are that someone will get lucky on them somewhere along the line, because of the number of non-pro's that they're facing.
"I guess if luck wasn't involved I'd win every one". Phil Hellmuth
39126 Nibs: 1,021
Posted on Oct 22nd 2006  -  Subject: the pros
I think a pro will win it again, also considering there are more people who are "pros" now, due to the explosion of the game. Still, the more skilled players tend to do better. We'll just have to wait and see. L8r, GBU, WG
"It's gonna be... rockin'!!!"
66004 Nibs: 160
Posted on Oct 22nd 2006
I just can't wait until a girl wins it all. But thats because I am one, lol. I wonder if in time, the field will diminish or continue to grow. Hopefully, poker's popularity will fade out in time and the true poker players talents will show forth. Then, and only then...will the main event truly be a game worth watching.
~Jen~
65771 Nibs: 1,021
Posted on Dec 6th 2006
NEVER AGAIN MORE THAN LIKELY too many people playing now odds against it
Darren Jackman
29660 Nibs: 23,624
Posted on Dec 6th 2006
I think a pro will win the odd one but you wont see anyone hold a title for more than one WSOP
60359 Nibs: 15,565
Posted on Dec 6th 2006
The odds against it are low but it will probably happen. Will we see a reduction in the number of players due to the US Legislation especially as a lot of seats where filled by people from sites who are no longer available to US Players?
48267 Nibs: 3,787
Posted on Dec 7th 2006
I think in a few years you will see the pro's back on top again. One of the big problems that they are facing is how to play online poker ... because thats what they are facing in live tournys now. There is a big difference in play between online and live ... and once they start recognising and playing it they will be back on top. Thats just my opinion of course.
SAMOH1 Play hard, play fair, always play to win
Not Registered
Nibs: 0
Edit Post
Delete Post
Posted on Dec 16th 2006
maybe someday
51227 Nibs: 1,850
Posted on Dec 17th 2006
I'd like to see a woman win the main event at the W.S.O.P. I'm just not sure which woman would be the one to do it or who I'd want to see win it.
40011 Nibs: 320
Posted on Dec 20th 2006
i think pros still have a chance to win the main event but since the fields keep getting bigger there won't be any repeats ever again
I hate pocket kings
71223 Nibs: 850
Posted on Dec 21st 2006
That's a very interesting post. I agree that with more "amateurs" around, the pros will definitely have a tougher time taking it down.
Bluenorth.
67325 Nibs: 1,004
Posted on Dec 21st 2006
yeah someone will win wsop who is a pro, he just wont have the title for long, it'll be taken away in a year!
0ontario0
67325 Nibs: 1,004
Posted on Dec 21st 2006
yeah someone will win wsop who is a pro, he just wont have the title for long, it'll be taken away in a year!
0ontario0
13455 Nibs: 2,244
Posted on Dec 26th 2006
I think you will see pro's win it once in a while but can you imagine someone winning two years in a row like doyle did?
ADAMRULZ
Displaying #1-15 of 26 total posts  1 2  Next Last

header

[close]