Separation of Church and Poker

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-4 of 4 total posts
13928 Nibs: 1,782
Posted on Nov 18th 2007  -  Subject: Separation of Church and Poker
So what's with all this praying at the final table of the 2007 WSOP? Praying to "God" for a win or to "Make Lee a Believer" seems like a pretty big reach in my opinion...
You lie like I play the French Horn.
51227 Nibs: 1,850
Posted on Nov 21st 2007
I have my own personal ideas about God and I'm not one who tries to trample other's ideas about that kinda stuff. I don't even mind if someone makes a reference to God at a poker table. However what happened at the final table of this year's main event was pretty ridiculous if you ask me. The "make Lee a believer" line was pretty funny in a way. I want someone to believe in God, because it's obviously something that's very important to me, by winning a poker hand in a poker tournament. There's just a little bit of absurdity to that statement being made in that situation. Jerry Yang asking God to help him win because he's got an important plan lined up for Jerry was pretty bad too. God has a special purpose for me which involves winning millions of dollars in a poker tournament. Of course this might have meant something more to me if he donated ALL of his winnings to charity. God had a purpose for someone like Mother Theresa. A woman who basically gave her life to helping people who needed it. Anyone who makes a lot of money can donate a small percentage of it to charity. It's awesome that Yang donated the money he did donate but let's not act like God had a special plan for him to do that. Win millions, donate a small percentage of it, and still be rich on top of that. A lot of people who are "believers" get some critisism that they don't deserve. Part of that does come from people who use their "belief" to harm or harrass others. The actions of those at the WSOP shouldn't really make anyone hate on christians but it can't really help their image in the eyes of most people.
84352 Nibs: 220
Posted on Nov 27th 2007
I dont belive in that especially good luck charms i belive you are dealt what you are dealt, you gotta make your own luck
turner-scu@hotmail.com - msn
51227 Nibs: 1,850
Posted on Nov 28th 2007
There's the luck of the draw at times. It's true that you can't just rely on complete luck to win in this game.
Displaying #1-4 of 4 total posts

header

[close]