Discipline

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-7 of 7 total posts
80384 Nibs: 218
Posted on Jul 3rd 2007  -  Subject: Discipline
I have been playing a few year now, and still consider myself to be a fairly poor player. however, the games im playin in at the moment, the players are far worse, and i often find myself busting against them because something they have done has annoyed me and put me on tilt, or im just bored in general. I read articles on this forum, about etiquette, and i think, thats how the game should be, but when i play in all the games available to me, manners and common courtesy are non-existant. people are constantly discussing what people have and why they have that during hands, people who are watching often comment on hands during play also. and being fairly new and young, i dont think that raising the issue would help matters, as everyone else on the table seem quite content. so my only options appear to be sit and accept it, or dont play. neither of which are appealing to me. obviously a better player would be able to sit at these games and adapt to the poor players and dominate the table. but as i said im still learning, although i think i am possibly better than the players in these games, i lack the discipline or the correct temperment to exploit their obvious weakness. any response would be greatly appreciated
Few Players recall big pots they have won - strange as it seems - but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career.
29660 Nibs: 23,624
Posted on Jul 8th 2007
Sounds like you got it together Dealor,what other players do is out of your control,play your game and dont let other players play bother you. I know its frustrating but over time you will do and be better than them!
51227 Nibs: 1,850
Posted on Jul 9th 2007
Yeah all you can do is play your game and try to not let the other's actions bother you.
49888 Nibs: 1,676
Posted on Sep 27th 2007
interesting
AA
13928 Nibs: 1,782
Posted on Oct 5th 2007
You're on the right track in my opinion. - You need to adjust to every situation you face at the poker table. This sometimes means losing all your chips when a bad player catches his inside straight draw, runner runner flush, or running cards. I complain more than anyone in these situations, but it's low-limit poker at it's best and worst. Anyway, my advice is sit tight, form a tight-enough table image, buy in for the max, reload when you lose, and eventually make money off of the mistakes of others. A little luck now and then helps too. You need the table to fear and loathe you. Let the bad beats roll off your back, because in theory you too should be beating players badly. Few things make me smile more than cracking the hell out of aces and kings when someone has played them incorrectly (slowly!). Be prepared to make some marginal calls, and be prepared to fold when you know you're way behind. Mix up your bets so the good players can't get a read or predict what you have. Think beyond your own cards. I started playing much better when I started thinking about the other players' cards. Go all in. Bluff even when players don't show weakness. If you get caught, it gets you advertising value (if anyone is paying attention). Next time you bet huge and have a great hand, the likelihood of getting called increases. Make the players mad. Be aggressive. Be as big an asshole as you can be. When you have the nuts it will pay off. READ READ READ. Dan Harrington, Dave Sklansky, Lee Jones, King Yao, etc. Reading elevated my poker play at least to the levels of anyone else who has read the books. Also, you can't use every trick in the book when you haven't read any! Good luck, I hope this helps!
You lie like I play the French Horn.
80384 Nibs: 218
Posted on Oct 8th 2007
Thanks for the reply we appear to be on the same page no doubt. Sometimes i have great confidence in my game, but this is only about 10% of the time. not having enough confidence in my reads is often a problem, as time and time again i have thought a player held a medium pair when i have aces, but when the flop comes 789 and they push, i call?! insanity. However my main problem is discipline, i play for weeks/months, but then i have a single day where i have a total blow up and lose all the profit in one swoop. Today i have that exactly, as soon as i sat down i knew i was not bringing my A B or C game, but i still sat and blew a few hundred, in a 0.25/0.50 game!!!!. I also think reading good poker literature is essential. reading strategies that have actually been tested by the author makes me think that perhaps even the great players dont ease to success at first, so it reminds me not to be so hard on myself after a days worth of poor play.
Few Players recall big pots they have won - strange as it seems - but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career.
6805 Nibs: 4,552
Posted on Oct 27th 2007
I agree with the comments made by Thompson0. For fun I played on a newish site on freerolls because I wanted to see if I could do a "Jesus". I won £4 and started playing on the 2p/4p tables and have now got up to £168. The players on the site are dreadful and I have had so many bad beats, but I keep playing the same way because I know that I will win in the long run. At this level if you raise pre-flop by 3/4 x bb there will be times when the majority of the table will call! I make much bigger raises and still get called by too many players and lose to some idiot who calls with 23 suited. I accept this though because the majority of the time I am going to take his money, and have!
Displaying #1-7 of 7 total posts

header

[close]