Did this hand play itself?

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-15 of 16 total posts  1 2  Next Last
80384 Nibs: 218
Posted on Aug 3rd 2007  -  Subject: Did this hand play itself?
I tried to build a bankroll using simple bankroll management earlier in the month. started with $100 playing microlimits. Not even a week gone by and i moved up so many times out of boredom, i have posted about this issue before. Before was playing 2/4 with my entire roll on the table, i know its terrible but i was bored of grinding it out and made the same mistake yet again. I got Ah 8h in middle position about an hour in, i limped, the button made it $14 and i called. The flop was good for me but also potentially dangerous. Ac 5h 6h. I bet out 24 and the pre flop raiser made it 60, this was committing 1/3 of my stack to the hand but i felt i could call and get away on the turn if i missed. The turn came 7s. giving me even more outs, i bet out hoping he would fold on a very dangerous board, he put me all in and i felt i had to call with so many outs as i put him on AK. well i was wrong, he had 66 for trips. the river came a blank and my bankroll is yet again gone, within a week. Although the fact i lose everytime i take a shot at the bigger limits suggest i am a poor player, i dont think this is the case, im not good by any means, but i dont think i am out of my league sitting a 2/4 at all. I just need the bankroll to sit ther without having the thought of being bust everytime i am involved in a hand. I know i probably should have put it down pre flop, but is there anything else i could have done in this hand to avoid being bust or is this just one of those situations where the money is going in the middle regardless? Thanks, Michael
Few Players recall big pots they have won - strange as it seems - but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career.
51227 Nibs: 1,850
Posted on Aug 3rd 2007
Your best time to fold there was preflop probably. You flop top pair with a nut flush draw. The turn gives you an open ended straight draw. You had many outs and could have been best with the ace. Can't blame you after the flop for inevitably putting all your money in the pot. About moving up and playing bigger limits before you have a good sized bankroll for the limits. I don't mind the grind myself as long as I'm winning money along the way. It might be more difficult for you or anyone else to do this. That's when I'd probably say you have to decide if you want to be a grinder or gambler in the beginning. If you can grind it out, playing smaller limits, then do that. If you want to move up and gamble then do that. However if you feel like you can't play the higher limits until you have more money to do so then wait to deposit more money to play with. There's no point in trying the latter strategy and just busting your bankroll out time after time. It's a waste of money if you ask me.
81644 Nibs: 665
Posted on Aug 5th 2007
i agree with the last post
cathy66
80384 Nibs: 218
Posted on Aug 6th 2007
I totally agree, i know its a waste of time and money moving up and playing with my entire bankroll every time i sit down, as eventually i always end up bust. I just find it so hard to sit at .10/.20 and grind it out. I played last night, and i seen some of the strangest play iv ever seen. I was at .50/1.00 6 handed. I played 103 hands. Other than when i was in a hand, there was not one single showdown. every pot was min raised and 4 or 5 handed to the flop. If it was just two other players and i folded, it would usually be checked down until river, then a big bet and other guy folds. They never ever went to a show down. i thought they mustve been playing together so i left.
Few Players recall big pots they have won - strange as it seems - but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career.
29660 Nibs: 23,624
Posted on Aug 6th 2007
I know its tough,but gotta play within your BR.
80707 Nibs: 4,381
Posted on Aug 7th 2007
You should really find the game that you can consistently win at. For example I find that I can play the 6 and 8 people tables better than a full 10. I also seem to do well in tournaments these days and only so so at the cash tables. As for being bored while playing, that is a good thing. It will keep your head clear, don't be to anxious to play.
ciao for now
51227 Nibs: 1,850
Posted on Aug 14th 2007
I'm not sure if I can come up with a cure for being bored when you're playing the grind. I'm pretty sure it happens to all of us (that do it) and we just have to deal with it the best we can. Like I said, you can take the gamble if grinding it out isn't your thing. However the gamble may end up costing you all of your money in your bankroll.
25370 Nibs: 7,706
Posted on Sep 3rd 2007
I really dont know how i should played
enslow back on the bike
19176 Nibs: 1,075
Posted on Sep 6th 2007
when you get bored grinding micro tables play some heads up sitNgo's, play $5 you'll be amazed how long a $50 acount will run. Plus you'll feed that urge. If ya lose grind the table for an hour, and replenish than bounce over to a heads up. I bet your game will be better in one week. Plus youll still have cash ( unless your a drunken donk playing bingo trying to go broke faster than Mike Matesow ).
GambitMaster Team Toronto
81928 Nibs: 650
Posted on Sep 19th 2007
I dunno how many tables u try playing but when I get bored at the tables I then like to open an additional table or so. I find it helps with being bored at the table. hope u have some good luck.
ALL IN! Take Er EZ!, If she's EZ take er Twice..
13612 Nibs: 96,991
Posted on Sep 20th 2007
The only mistake I think you made was leading out on the flop and then just calling. You started to comitt yourself to the pot at this point and the turn card forced you to gamble the the rest of your chips on pot odds alone. Only way i can see you getting away from this hand a little cheaper is check calling his bets. he mave have tried to trap check you and you might have gotten a free card. Very worst you would have seen the turn for less then $60 and potentially the river without getting all of your money committed to the pot. All in are with that board and turn if you are in it until the end you are pretty much trying to get all your chips in by the turn with your outs. Little bit unlucky that he didnt have a hand more like AK or AQ that he may have been able to throw away on the turn, Set, he was committed.
Make Money, Not Friends at the Table
6805 Nibs: 4,552
Posted on Oct 28th 2007
I think your story shows how dangerous it is to play ace rag. I also think you should have folded on the flop when you were raised. At that point there was 118 in the pot and it was costing you 36 to call, odds of just over 3:1. If you put him on Ak, the flush draw or an 8 give you 11 outs, giving you about the right odds to call. However, if he has trips, realistically, you have only the flush draw which is 9 outs and you are not getting the right odds to call. Overall, you are not getting the right odds to call (can not factor in implied odds because you do not say what each of your stacks were).
84575 Nibs: 320
Posted on Dec 9th 2007
I agree with the other guys, when you get bored, it's better to play a tournament, Sit and go or Multi table, than just gamble everything with A8h, risking all your money.
=)
85033 Nibs: 955
Posted on Jan 11th 2008  -  Subject: !
Agree with 2nd post .
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
33589 Nibs: 1,565
Posted on Jan 12th 2008
it s hard to put down top pair but if the other player is raising at every chance then youve got to look at your kicker and with 5 over cards youve got to cut your loses and run
Displaying #1-15 of 16 total posts  1 2  Next Last

header

[close]