Chris Ferguson

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-6 of 6 total posts
31156 Nibs: 797
Posted on Jan 19th 2007  -  Subject: Chris Ferguson
The math genius Chris "Jesus" Ferguson spent about 20 years in a university setting and since then has regularly picked up titles at the WSOP. Name: Chris Ferguson Nickname: Jesus Residence: Pacific Palisades, CA, United States In the Money: 97 Total Winnings: $5.464.969 Tournament Victories: 9 WSOP Bracelets: 5 Chris Ferguson was born on the 11th of April 1963 in Los Angeles, California. His parents, both doctors of mathematics, introduced him to poker at an early age. His father, Thomas Feguson, taught game theory. It took a while though, until Chris began his poker career. In 1981 at the age of 18 he began studying at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA). He studied computer science with a focus in artificial intelligence. He graduated in 1986. He left the university 13 years later in 1999 with a doctorate in computer science. Dr. Leonard Kleinrock was his mentor at the time. His "Queing Theory" laid the foundation for the technology of the internet. During his studies he uncovered the world of online poker. Even in 1989, poker could be played over IRC (internet relay chat), albeit only for playmoney. He started his career as a tournament player in 1994. He played in small tournaments in the greater Los Angeles area. Ferfguson on his decision to primarily play tournament games: "I decided to primarily play tournaments because I felt that the competition in them would be the greatest. I figure that the best way to learn to play better is to play against the top players - I learn best by playing against the best." In 1995 he attended his first WSOP event but failed to win one of the coveted bracelets. In 2000 Ferguson won the $2500 Seven Card Stud Tournament, bringing him 151000 dollars. Before this he had never made it into the top 3 of such a tournament, even though he had been at the final table 6 times. This victory enabled him to take part in the WSOP no-limit main event with a buy-in of $10000. He won this tournament too heads-up against T.J. Cloutier with a hand to which an entire book was dedicated (James McManus - "Positively Fifth Street"). Ferguson held A9 against Cloutier's AQ. The flop consisted of a 2, a king and a 4 - another king followed on the turn. The 9 on the river made Ferguson 1.5 million dollars richer and brought him his second WSOP bracelet in the span of one year. But he didn't stop with just these two successes. In 2001 he won the $1500 Omaha Hi-Lo Split Eight or Better event with a prize of 164735 dollars. In 2003 he again triumphed twice; once in the $2.000 Omaha Hi-Lo Split Eight or Better Event for 123680 dollars and in the $2.000 ½ Limit Hold'em - ½ Seven Card Stud Turnier for 66220 dollars in prizemoney. In 2005 and 2006 he was runner up in the National Heads-Up Poker Championship. In 2005 he defeated Phil Hellmuth Jr., however in 2006 he was beaten by Ted Forrest. Because of his long hair and beard Ferguson is also known as "Jesus." He wears the cowboy purely as part of his poker playing image. He doesn't want to look like a professor at the poker table. He says that he is often underestimated because of his hat. Ferguson is known for his extravagant hobby, swing dancing - he leads a swing dance club at the UCLA. He can also split a carrot or banana with a thrown playing card. Even though he never made poker his main career, Chris Ferguson is one of the most successful poker players. His total winnings are over 5.4 million dollars, with 4 million of that coming from WSOP tournaments (as of 2006).
SaGi
51227 Nibs: 1,850
Posted on Jan 23rd 2007
I would hate to have to play that guy in a tournament. You can get ZERO reads on the guy. The fact that he's an absolute genius at math doesn't help either. Probably the best tournament player today and could be in the argument for all time best (as far as actual skills he uses to play).
6852 Nibs: 1,922
Posted on Jan 24th 2007
u learn a lot by playing him
P.S.Rajendra
Posted on Jan 24th 2007
Chris is a one of the best player on the World
SaGi
Posted on Jan 24th 2007
And i hope Chris win a big tourny in 2007
SaGi
63599 Nibs: 4,417
Posted on Jan 25th 2007
He is a great player for sure. Although, being so smart, I've seen him out think himself out of hands and then go in with far worse a few hands later, but hey his results speak volumes. One of my top 5 fav players.
live free love life and play poker
Displaying #1-6 of 6 total posts

header

[close]