Best poker books

Rate this Topic

Question: Do you read poker books to improve your game?

1. Often
Click Here to Vote
2. Sometimes
Click Here to Vote
3. Not at all
Click Here to Vote

Total Votes: 14

Displaying #1-11 of 11 total posts
65328 Nibs: 189
Posted on Oct 15th 2006  -  Subject: Best poker books
Anyone read any good books about poker lately? List them here. I just read Harrington on Hold'em: Expert strategy for no-limit tournaments and it was awesome. The problems at the end of each chapter really trained you mind how to think about different hands. I plan on buying the second and third volume soon. Here is a review if you are interested http://www.flopturnriver.com/reviews/Poker-Books-HarringtonHoldem.php. anyways, if you know of any other good books, about cash games or tourneys, about hold'em or not, talk about them here.
65406 Nibs: 663
Posted on Oct 15th 2006
I read most of the book CHAMPIONSHIP LIMIT / NOLIMIT HOLDEM ... by TJ Cloutier... I thought the book was somewhat robotic and was giving advice that even TJ probably wouldnt be doing at a poker table... I may be wrong but ive seen him play before and the style he outlines in his book is much different than the way he plays. He says that in early position he would lay down AJ or he would lay down KK to two raises infront of him... im sorry but personally i dont think i could ever lay down kk preflop, even if u put your opponent on AA the chances that he has it are so slim... UNLESS i was on the verge of cashing on a big cash tourny then i could lay them down no problem... (i layed down aa when i was 1 spot away from cashing when i was third shortstack... and i wouldve went out vs aq who hit a straight)
Liquid
61548 Nibs: 821
Posted on Oct 15th 2006
My question is how good are these poker books. Are they just scams for players to make a quick buck, or are they for real? I don't know if I could put my faith in a book besides the bible. I just trust my own play and hopefully it will take me to the cash.
Lori
49357 Nibs: 5,464
Posted on Oct 15th 2006
Heard alot about Harringtons books. I'm going to have to get them eventually. I started with Limit Hold'em- Super System 1 then 2. Dont like to read much, but the most interesting thing I have ever read. I'm now starting on the nl sections. Internet Texas Hold'em by Mathew Hilger is a good one. Makes you think what the hell is going thru ppls minds sometimes when they decide to play a garbage hand in Limit Poker. I'm now going to read alot on nl mostly tournament play. I just cant take the swings in the cash tables. Got so much reading to do right now. Does anyone know of any good books on tournament Hold'em?
They say if you can't spot the sucker within 30 minutes, you're it. I saw 9 of them the second I sat down. -Vaughn
Posted on Oct 15th 2006
Harrington's book is on no-limit tournaments. What I liked about the book is that he doesn;t just give your rules. Well it kind of does in the chapter, but at the end of the chapter Harrington gives you an in depth situation. For example, an aggresive palyer raises 4x blind early position preflop, you have A10 and are shortstack, what do you do? The situations he gives are actually much more in depth than that, that example was just to give you an idea of what I was talking about. Afterwards, Harrington gives a detailed explanation of what he would do and why. This accomplishes something very different than other books. It really trains your mind how to think about the game, so that in different situations that are not neccesarily talked about in the book you will still know what to do. For example the style of play I play online is drastically different than live. I mostly play low stakes and the people are awfull and call with anything preflop. When the blinds are low, I play very loosely preflop. Since many players will go all-in with a top pair, my implied odds preflop with low blinds are very high. It's a book every poker player should read. Even Dan Harrington............
61974 Nibs: 2,732
Posted on Oct 15th 2006  -  Subject: Books
My question is how good are these poker books. Are they just scams for players to make a quick buck, or are they for real? Some books are good, while some are bad. You never know until you check into one you have your eye on. However, each one can shed some light on a topic I bet you never thought of beofre. I know each one I read does that, even if the book is stale. Speaking of T.J.'s book it may seem robotic and true he wouldn't always play like he writes. I don't think a single player pro or otherwise would play exactly like they write. If they did then how easy would it be to read them. You know what they play and how they play it. One thing I learned over the years is to take each hand on its own merrit. Books are useful to fast track your mistakes, if you can learn what other people have found to be a mistake by playing the carsd wrong, well thats got to save you some cash. Every bit of information is useful even if you have heard it 100 times and on the 101st you actually utilize it, well you're getting to be a more seasoned player.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- I hope to break even this week. I need the money.
49357 Nibs: 5,464
Posted on Oct 16th 2006
That has got te be one of the dumbest questions ever. Yes poker books are a scam...lol They are telling you all the wrong things for when they sit at a table with you they can take your money. Come on think about it guy. You will never sit at a table with anyone of these authors. What would they gain from writing a book to have you lose money. They do want to sell their books right. You must be the best poker player in the world.
They say if you can't spot the sucker within 30 minutes, you're it. I saw 9 of them the second I sat down. -Vaughn
65887 Nibs: 418
Posted on Oct 18th 2006
"no limit holdem, theory and practice"
66004 Nibs: 160
Posted on Oct 22nd 2006
Books are books. You can only get so much outta them. the experience u get from actually playing will surpass anything u can read. my opinion of course.
~Jen~
Posted on Oct 22nd 2006
You need both in my opinion. Books will definatley quicken the path to becoming a good player. It is much easier to understand arguments then it is to create them.
Posted on Oct 22nd 2006
You need both in my opinion. Books will definatley quicken the path to becoming a good player. It is much easier to understand arguments then it is to create them.
Displaying #1-11 of 11 total posts

header

[close]