Becoming a Poker Pro

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-15 of 17 total posts  1 2  Next Last
32187 Nibs: 168
Posted on Nov 27th 2006  -  Subject: Becoming a Poker Pro
You, like many other people, are dreaming of becoming a professional poker player. This may because you are unhappy with your job or you just think your good enough to hand with the current pros. Then there is the layed back lifestyle of working when you want to and being your own boss. I am not here to burst your bubble, but you really want to think about this before jumping into it. But we are here to help you out if that is what you think is best for you. First off, forget everything you see on TV with poker. TV is going to give you a false since of reality. To be a poker pro you obviously need to be an execllent poker player. You also need to have a nice size bankroll to begin playing with, and skills to be able to manage that bankroll. You must also be able to handle the bad beats and swings of the games that you "Will" have. Now this is considered to be one of the most important factors if you are only thinking of becoming a pro. You must completely love the game! Not just like it, you must love it with a passion. If you do not totally love the game you will become miserable with your new occupation. You should be exited to get to the tables every day. If you are not in love with the game this much, find another career. As a poker pro you will go through days that the game will be fun, some days will be horrible. You are going to go pass through long losing streaks, and when you think you hit a rough, there are most probably bigger ones to come. Something you really have to think about is that you aslo just took one of your hobbies and past times and turned it into your work. You will most probably no longer see poker as a fun hobby..... There is more to this article at my site... check it out
49357 Nibs: 5,464
Posted on Nov 27th 2006
I have gotten myself back to work after playing poker for the last several months. Hard to keep a big enough bankroll to play the limits I want. The bills kept rolling in and piling up. Had to keep withdrawing seems weekly. I can thank the low limit players at CD poker for that. Hope to see what I can afford now with the new site and a real job. Boy, I cant wait.
They say if you can't spot the sucker within 30 minutes, you're it. I saw 9 of them the second I sat down. -Vaughn
64802 Nibs: 1,476
Posted on Nov 28th 2006
very tough to make a living as a poker pro, but i am up to the task
those who never try, never succeed
58116 Nibs: 603
Posted on Nov 28th 2006
Playin poker .. is fun , but playin poker for a living aitn fun at all .
Rokko98
48267 Nibs: 3,787
Posted on Nov 29th 2006
If I get good enough, I am definitely going pro ... the only way to succeed at anything is to push yourself to see how far you can go. At the end of the day I don't want to say - if only ...
SAMOH1 Play hard, play fair, always play to win
69825 Nibs: 1,241
Posted on Nov 29th 2006
for me poker is just o hobby, no more!! I like my job!!
I belive in miracles!
20690 Nibs: 1,167
Posted on Dec 2nd 2006
if i get to that good of course i'm going pro
Pmurda
31621 Nibs: 418
Posted on Dec 5th 2006
seems to me if u want to be a poker pro all u gotta do is beat me.
cashnup
Posted on Dec 5th 2006
Nah, if you really want to be a poker pro you have to treat it like any other profession, looks of study, looks of practise and lots of experience. Its simple really ...
71366 Nibs: 1,337
Posted on Dec 5th 2006
I would never want to be a pro, it is not layed back at all, and you have to deal with lots of stress. If you play good poker at a high level it is a stressfull game. Anyways, i play for fun and i play to win. I would never want it to be a fulltime thing......
----------------------------------- "In order to live you must be willing to die" -Super Agressive Player
65771 Nibs: 1,021
Posted on Dec 6th 2006
poker pro in a way we all are to a point when you play for money makes you sort of a pro, but as for a living never
Darren Jackman
63599 Nibs: 4,417
Posted on Dec 6th 2006
Don't know that I want to be a poker pro, but would love to win a huge tourney with the million $$$ payday. Ah yes what a beautiful dream, but now back to reality and the bills and work and such. Good Luck
live free love life and play poker
Posted on Dec 16th 2006
I think we all share that dream of winning the big one ... it certainly beats having to earn it on an hourly or monthly rate by working in a "real" job. To me, if you are good enough to play poker professionally, then treat it like a job - theres nothing wrong with working at something you enjoy doing. It beats working at something you dont enjoy doing, thats what the rat race is all about isnt it?
13455 Nibs: 2,244
Posted on Dec 26th 2006
If you treat poker as a job it is also harder to make money at it since you need it to survive. It will much harder to play and your emotions will afect you more I would believe since you need the money
ADAMRULZ
51227 Nibs: 1,850
Posted on Dec 27th 2006
I would like to be a pro someday. I've made a little bit of an effort to get there. Not enough yet but maybe things will get better soon.
Displaying #1-15 of 17 total posts  1 2  Next Last

header

[close]