Bad Read, Good Play?

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-4 of 4 total posts
80384 Nibs: 218
Posted on Sep 25th 2007  -  Subject: Bad Read, Good Play?
I was playing in a local tournament last saturday when a very interesting hand developed. I had been playing fairly aggressively, and had taken down quite a few pots uncontested. However, i had been slightly fortunate that everytime my bet was called, i actually held a hand. About two hours in, i was involved in a hand heads up with a guy to my right. As the dealer was dealing the river, i looked accross the table and noticed a guy sitting discussing the hand with the female next to him, discussing possible holdings. I have mentioned before that i think this is highly inappropriate and it should not be allowed at the table. I let it slide. I heard him mention that he thought i had played way to many hands and that i was a maniac. I was pleased to hear this as i knew if i actually got a hand against him he was probably going to pay me off. A while later i was heads up with him, no raise pre flop. i had 45 off and checked my option, flop came 46T. He had played fairly tight and i didnt feel he had any of the flop, but then i noticed him reaching for chips so i checked the flop. He fired a bet around half of the pot, i was still certain he held nothing so i raised him a little less than the pot. He sat for a good few minutes and then pushed all in. I folded and he showed me 22. At first i thought he had played his hand very well and that he was a good player. But then during the break i overheard him telling his friend about the hand, and his reasoning for making the move was slightly flawed. He said that i had played all the hands the same way when i was bluffing, and he even said one of the hands where i had played and checkraised, that i was bluffing there too,i actually held a full house in this hand though but didnt have to show my cards. I still think that he is a decent player, mainly because he actually analysed previous hands and then acted on it when he got the chance, but in this case he analysed the situation incorrectly, but got the desired result.
Few Players recall big pots they have won - strange as it seems - but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career.
51227 Nibs: 1,850
Posted on Oct 10th 2007
It was exactly what you said it was. A bad read which turned into a good play.
83045 Nibs: 480
Posted on Oct 13th 2007
agreed bad read but good play.
ima take ur stack
51227 Nibs: 1,850
Posted on Oct 15th 2007
These kind of plays aren't really bad at all. You make a bad read which turns into a good call. You win the pot and you can learn from your mistake.
Displaying #1-4 of 4 total posts

header

[close]