Pushing on a draw

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-8 of 8 total posts
21251 Nibs: 158
Posted on Aug 5th 2006  -  Subject: Pushing on a draw
I was just wondering what your guys thoughts were about raising over the top off the flop with only a flush or a straight draw. Personally i think it's better than just calling because by only calling your showing weakness and by pushing over the top your showing strenght and putting your opponent to their hand. More than likely when your on a draw your opponent has you beat, but if you are willing to put all your chips in then it puts pressure on your opponent to call.
62356 Nibs: 394
Posted on Aug 5th 2006
Depending on the size of your opponent's bet compared to his/her total chip stack and the current stakes, raising could scare them out of the hand. Or at the very least make them nervous. Because they just might be on the same draw as you, but they'll worry that you may already have a hand and start to rethink the odds. Also, we've all seen several flops with a potential straight draw and flush draw, but no straight flush draw. Say something like Jh, Qs, 6h. Someone before you who bets fairly high, or just immediately throws in a ridiculous amount of chips, may very well be chasing an ace-high straight and hoping to scare out flush drawers, or (s)he simply didn't notice the 6h since his/her focus is on the high cards. If the latter isn't the case, raising them can be to your benefit, because they'll realize that you're more likely to get your draw if you are chasing a flush (9 hearts left in the deck to 4 T/K/A, whichever they need). If they don't notice the flush draw because they're too focused on their own, that's when it comes down to the coin toss. No more hearts hit, and you're out a lot of chips, but atleast now you know this player's tunnel vision syndrome when they have a chance at a good hand. If a heart does hit, especially if it's a 10, K or A (because any one of those will either give your opponent high pair/high kicker or a straight), they may still not notice that you hit your flush. So yes, if you've got a good draw with good odds, raise when someone bets on the flop. Simply calling may tell them you're only on a draw.... Which actually could be a good way to mislead people. But then I'd be rambling.
74710 Nibs: 2,705
Posted on May 29th 2007
I always push on a draw...
51227 Nibs: 1,850
Posted on May 29th 2007
Pushing on a draw isn't a bad idea. I'm not sure that I'd push with just a straight draw though (even open ended). I think I'd rather have a flush draw with it. I could push with just a flush draw maybe although having a pair with it would be good.
51227 Nibs: 1,850
Posted on May 29th 2007
Pushing on a draw isn't a bad idea. I'm not sure that I'd push with just a straight draw though (even open ended). I think I'd rather have a flush draw with it. I could push with just a flush draw maybe although having a pair with it would be good.
78466 Nibs: 1,307
Posted on May 29th 2007
always doing the same thing, like pushing a draw, really good players will pick up on this and put you on a range of cards. mix up your play and just call or check too, make em wonder a little bit. going over the top can be effective at times also, for example if there is an ace already on board and you bet at it drawing to a straight that doesn't even involve the ace can really effectively hide your hand. semi bluffing can be an effective tool, overused though it will eventually lose money.
the older i get, the better i was
78882 Nibs: 1,500
Posted on May 31st 2007
a
79319 Nibs: 363
Posted on May 31st 2007
you have 20% chance to open a flush draw on turn, if you play using pot odds is correctly you bet 1/5 of pot.. i like to call, just bet if i am button and everybody checks, never give a free card.
AA vs KK, All-in Both.. Flop K 4 8 < K > < A >. Poker, 80% Lucky.
Displaying #1-8 of 8 total posts

header

[close]