Headsup play!

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-15 of 19 total posts  1 2  Next Last
35829 Nibs: 424
Posted on Jul 14th 2006  -  Subject: Headsup play!
One thing i need to improve in my poker style of play, is my headsup part of the game! I loose 80% of the time while playing headsup, unless its against a realy poor player! And since I play sng's, players who get to the headsup part usaly is better players.. Any tips on how to play headsup? What cards I sould rais with, and how should I play the flop if im called and the flop dont hit? etc.
- See you at the tables, ill probably be the one with all your chips! ;)
31416 Nibs: 502
Posted on Jul 14th 2006
You need to consistently follow up preflop raises with bets on the flop and turn
1884 Nibs: 58,944
Posted on Jul 14th 2006
Also remember HU is a COMPLETLEY different game... The OUTS for both players increase.. 1 small pair CAN and DOES win tournaments HU Take a look at the flop if your opp doesn't raise too outragous his AK OR QQ may just get beat by 56o if the flop's nice for ya...:) IF you get a premium hand DO NOT try and slowplay it for the above mentioned reasons.. most likely he'll call anyway so MAKE THEM PAY to see it! Don't be afraid to fold..HU if you think you're beat you usually are no matter how ridiculous the flop may seem...your opp has prbably caught a peice of it.. Don't be afraid to pull off a bluff if you're over half your opps chips ..make em think about EVERY FLOP!! hope these helped........cheers..jeff
I.. am the BOOM!! in BOOMSHAKALAK!!
52400 Nibs: 1,833
Posted on Jul 14th 2006
raise about 80% of the time from the button.
6056 Nibs: 161,327
Posted on Jul 14th 2006

The key is being aggressive in heads up. Not ridiculously but change up your play and if you flop a huge hand try and sucker them in. Also if the flops are cheap try and see a lot of them and see if you can get a nice hit on the flop :) Never slow play premium hands too much otherwise people might get lucky with there little fishy tactics.

"Tip of the day" "Your first instincts are better than 95 percent correct if you're a poker player. That's because your first instinct comes from all the training and practice and skills that you've learned over the years."
36882 Nibs: 230
Posted on Jul 22nd 2006
When im heads up I try too tailor my style according too what my opponents do and I try too slow play all my good hands or draws till blinds get heavy also if I have pocket pair or A-and a good kicker I go all in normally also steal a lot motre pots because people dont always hit something
34829 Nibs: 1,651
Posted on Jul 24th 2006
Im not saying play everything, but remember the chances are you will have 2 cards that ur opponent does, and if you hit a pair you have a good chance
Cheers hutchylad
34829 Nibs: 1,651
Posted on Jul 24th 2006
Im not saying play everything, but remember the chances are you will have 2 cards that ur opponent does, and if you hit a pair you have a good chance
Cheers hutchylad
12198 Nibs: 5,201
Posted on Jul 24th 2006
In brief, I'd raise from the button with any two cards above an 8, any A or K, any pair and often QXs Aggression is king in heads up play, especially at the end of a tourney, as most people simply don't practice it. Best way to improve is to play some heads up tourneys and keep careful notes of how often what you would cnsider to be a really poor hand will win. This should do two things, firstly it will give you a lot more experience of heads up play and secondly will giv you the confidence to play sub-standard hands aggressively when you get HU in a bigger tourney. Most of all, if you've got to the HU stage of a tourney, it's often something of a lottery, so just enjoy it.
________________________________________________________________ Sometimes the fluffy bunny of incredulity zooms round the bend so rapidly that the greyhound of language is left, agog, in the starting cage.
5580 Nibs: 2,130
Posted on Jul 24th 2006
Lottery my foot, once Ive made HU you are in a world of hurt I don't care if you have 5 or 10 times my stack I will eat your lunch. I'm either going to lose it in first 2 hands HU or Ive won it, sounds simple but HU is all psychological. I have about 5-6 2nd's to 18+ 1sts, I hold at least a 3-1 advantage once reach HU. I would suggest playing the 1$ HU sng's here, even if you lose it is a good price for a education that you must have. You can always get bad beat and can never win them all, but aggression is the key even if you are all inning him while he has the nuts you can still suckout and believe me if you beat his monster you own him. Truly any two cards in HU work for me, and yes I can and do fold, but I'll call his all in if I think I have 2 live cards before I'll ever let them push me like I'm pushing them. I'm almost always 2nd when reach HU's up yet win 3 out of 4 times. My best was 140 to 14860 and whomped him, but that was hardly skill, that was push 9 times in a row and hold em all. But I do regularly beat 120-150k's with 30-40k. I know there are little details about how to do this, but there really is no way to explain it better. In HU the cards mean nothing to me it is all chip stack size and not letting him do anything he wants. You watch 2 4 and any other junk beat rockets and you name it all the way through these tournies and then try to wait for hands when HU is just crazy. Play like you can't lose with whatever your two cards are and surprisingly you will win most of the hands just by the bet and quite a few dogs will hold to their better hand to boot. Add those two together and it can be hard to beat you. That is what works for me, and I am positive it is that 3-1 1st to 2nd finish ratio that keeps me from ever having to deposit, one first a week pays better than 7 5-10 finishes and you should fight tooth and nail for it.
Just because I'm moody, doesn't mean you're not irritating.
4989 Nibs: 640
Posted on Jul 25th 2006
I agree with most of what these guys have said. You must take control of the game. Aggression is key, but don't go crazy. If you've got A good hand raise it, if you sense weakness push em' out. I don't think you should raise every hand preflop... But make sure to change it up and bet big with that 8 4 every once in A while. Make sure you set the pace!!
57420 Nibs: 350
Posted on Jul 26th 2006
a HU is won by whoever raises the most! :)
norocel25
23446 Nibs: 653
Posted on Jul 26th 2006
There is no way to "tell" you how to play... but you have to play tighter in heads up then you normally would with a bunch of other players. As always, in poker, use your best judgement!
-- Paul Sybrandy sybrandyp@gmail.com
58823 Nibs: 254
Posted on Jul 26th 2006
aggression seems to work fo me raise in position the majority of the time and continue ur bet. Dont sit around and wait for hands take the power role and win your pots with aggressive play!!
May your pots be monsters and your cards be live
74710 Nibs: 2,705
Posted on May 23rd 2007
If you aren't good in head's up you shouldn't play it..I don't like heads up..too much luck there..
Displaying #1-15 of 19 total posts  1 2  Next Last

header

[close]